Wednesday, August 19, 2009

His look stopped me in my tracks (part 2)

From where I sat by the windows I could see him sitting in his car. There was no burst of steam from the tailpipe so I knew he hadn’t even started the motor. The wipers and headlights remained off as well, though through the windshield I could see him gripping the wheel tightly.

I couldn’t even begin to guess what was running through his mind at that moment, and I again reached out and laid my hand on the glass. I wanted to ease his confusion and I wanted to calm his uncertainty.

I watched as he got out of the car and started back toward my building, and my breath caught in my throat. The thin walls of my building allowed me to hear his steady steps as he ascended the metal stairs to my floor and I rose to my feet just as the door opened.

Stepping into the foyer his eyes met mine and he froze in place, his hand on the doorknob with rainwater dripping off the hem of his leather coat onto the pale gray linoleum. I took a step toward him but his look stopped me in my tracks.

“This isn’t fair, you know that right?” he asked as he closed the door.

“What isn’t fair?” I asked, confused by his question.

“The danger you’ve put our friendship in,” he clarified taking one step toward me. “Don’t you see the peril?”

I folded my arms and cocked my hips to one side, arching one eyebrow at him, “No I don’t. If you’re not interested in going out with me then nothing need change between us.”

“It’s all changed!” he said, his voice sounding a little panicked, “Just knowing how you see me has changed the very foundation of our friendship, how can it ever be the same?’

“It doesn’t have to be weird unless we make it that way,” I replied, “I just didn’t want to be one of those people who sit on the sidelines and then bitch about not being in the game!”

This statement stopped him and for a full minute he only stared at me. I did my best not to squirm under his intense gaze, but I finally succumbed and turned on my heel, walking across the room to look out the windows.

I could feel him in the room; I didn’t need to see him with my eyes to know he was warring with himself over what I viewed as a fairly simple issue.

“It’s not that complicated, you either want to go out with me or you don’t. Simple. If you don’t, then nothing need change. If you do, then…” I let my words trail off, trusting he could deduce how great it’d be if he did want to go out with me.

His feet were almost silent on the carpet; almost. He came up behind me and I’d have turned around but I was busy at that second wishing I could breathe. His warmth rolled over me and fought back the chill in my bones as he laid his hands on my shoulders and slowly turned me to face him.

I looked up into his face, painfully handsome, and when he gave me a small smile just before laying a soft kiss on my mouth I was sure he could hear my heart sing at the chance we’d agreed to take together.

No comments: